May 22, 2012

A little push...

I sat in a meeting on Sunday and listened to a lesson by a friend. The lesson focused on the importance of children in our lives. He quoted a great man by saying, "... and a child shall lead them." My heart beat a little harder at that moment, acknowledging the impact that children have in our lives. Over the last couple of days this has tumbled around in my mind. I thought about what it might mean for I Wish... It occurred to me that several books have made an impact on society because a youth has shared their love of a book with people that have the power to do something about it.

Ineffable Pictures has optioned the film rights to New York Times Bestselling teen novel, Tiger’s Curse, by Colleen Houck. Ineffable Pictures founder, Emmy-nominated producer Raphael Kryszek (Writer's Draft, Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman), says he read the book at the urging of his 11-year-old cousin. Shortly after this offer, Colleen was contacted by an agent to represent her. Then came the publishing deal that exploded Tiger's Curse throughout the world.

The decision to publish JK Rowling's book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, apparently owes much to Alice Newton, the eight-year-old daughter of Bloomsbury’s chairman, who was given the first chapter to review by her father and immediately demanded the next. Although Bloomsbury agreed to publish the book, Cunningham says that he advised Rowling to get a day job, since she had little chance of making money in children’s books. We all know what happened next.

I know that many of I Wish's fans feel like their voice isn't loud enough among the masses, but you never know. You could be the one to share I Wish... with a friend who has an aunt who works with the right people. So, this is a little push to share I Wish... with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment